Keith and Steve were on site yesterday and 3 volunteers plus Henry and Joy (who started volunteering during 2020 COVID and is a great worker) plus Henry (Saturday regular hoping to build a house someday) plus me reported. Partner family member Saadia was there as well. The three volunteers painted doors and started installing door trim before the nail gun jammed. Steve didn’t know how to fix it so no more door trim was installed. I worked with Saadia and we cut cardboard to cover the laminate flooring installed in the entryway and hall, to the kitchen, then bathrooms, then gave her the crash course in cleaning painting equipment.
The parking pad was poured Friday and looks great as does the sidewalk. I cleaned painting equipment for next week. The neighbor let me use a hose and that was very helpful. All but the hallway close doors are installed, and some cabinet pieces and the upstairs vanity are due in this week from Carter lumber. I talked to Tim on Saturday and he sounds much better. The tasks are heading to completion – remember I have the window screens in our garage for safe keeping.
Groups from a UD Service Fraternity painted trim and walls on Saturday. Tim’s friend Jamie was there to cut in rooms and the group painted upstairs walls. The only unpainted area is the stairway – and given the height and the need to use a plan to get near the ceiling, I can see why no one has painted it yet.
The kitchen base cabinets are in and the upper cabinets are under the stairs. There are lots of concrete forms in place for the sidewalk pour on Wednesday, so not much painting will likely get done. The doors are hung and fit well. I don’t recall seeing closet doors but saw the wire shelving material for closets.
Door trim installation and wall painting will continue this week. After the steps are poured, posts and railings look like the next step. Our neighbor to the north told me we could stretch their hose over the fence to clean painting equipment, provided we bring the hose back and shut it off each day.
With 10 days left in August, I report a lot of progress this week. The underground power line is connected to the grid, so we have power in the laundry room. The temporary pole still is hot and has a meter as does the house. Much was accomplished this week installing drywall. 6 came today from AFIT and were great workers. Loyal volunteer Henry came so we had a full crew. The downstairs drywall had a lot of progress. There are some pieces in the stairwell and under the stairs where the pantry and crawl space entry is. The group cleaned up well leaving a few uncut 4×12 sheets for under the stairs.
The drywall brightens the house and Tim is hoping the finishers can being midweek. A reminder that the screens are at my house for safe keeping. After drywall finishing will be lots of painting, then trim.
The AFIT group are very bright young men and women who made me feel very good about the future of our military. Tim was a busy boy this week.
Progress continues on the CtBS West Carrolton house. The electrical line has been run to the meter and was buried. Power has not been connected as of Saturday. The sewer, water and cable connections have been run. Water has been connected to a meter so Tim is trying to get an outside faucet connected to have running water on site.
WP AFIT volunteers came Saturday and installed drywall in the front bedroom and the high part of the stairway. If you work Tuesday, the cut piece in the back bedroom should be the next piece to be installed on the north side of the stairway. We made a list of things for Carter to pick up. More drywall this week. Nice work on the upstairs ceilings.
The heat and humidity didn’t keep work for continuing this week. A crew rented a lift and completed the siding and fascia after installing the last window – and yes the drywall is inside!. The HVAC, plumbing and electric rough-ins are done and inspections are on tap for next week. Tim and others trenched for the power line, and cleanup work was completed Saturday to install the line. Most of the surplus sand was used in the trench and some remains for covering the installed line. The site is very clean with trash, brush and cardboard hauled away Friday and Saturday.
After inspections, it will be time to insulate and then drywall.
This may be the first house we ever built with out a storage pod or a dumpster! Thanks to trips to the dump station, the site looks pretty good. Neighbor Bill is working on a big project at the Darke County Airport. He offered all the topsoil we need – and then said it’s 1 hour away and you would need a dump truck!. It does have a flat backyard, and a nifty 10’ x 10” storage shed with a lock on it as of Saturday afternoon. Materials and ladders not in the house are in the shed.
For this week:
Fascia aluminum for the shed and the front roof edge will be delivered Tuesday so wear your high work shoes for ladder work. Siding work on the door side of the shed and trim on the door are tasks for early week. I can smell the insulation then drywall days coming soon. The Johnson Electric group (Jim Gruden from St. Mary of the Assumption retired from there recently) did a nice job caulking siding the shed and building the doors.
The rough electrical work is done, and the plumbing and HVAC rough ins have started, and may get done this week.
The project is on hold for volunteers as HVAC and Plumbing work continues. Synergy agreed to move the dirt piles around so space to build the shed could be done next week. The big dig may also occur next week to connect the house to sewer and water. Meanwhile, the house is full serving as a storage space and the trades are cutting holes and fitting pieces. The materials for the shed are on site. Siding work is on hold until drywall can be unloaded on floor 2 so the window can be installed.